5 Jun 2011

TRAINING CYCLE #3

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." ~ John F. Kennedy

Since I was away for the long weekend, the only cycling I've managed to do these last two weeks has been my daily round-trip commute to work. And 4 miles a day does not keep the London-Paris-challenge at bay!

This week my leg has also been giving me grief (an ongoing yet indetermined half-marathon injury which I'm currently getting physio treatment for). Oh, the aching! Nevertheless, I have to keep training on the bike so this weekend I had planned a Sunday of cycling. I'd just keep it easygoing. The East London canal route seemed the ideal option - it's flat, and all I'd have to do is follow the waterways. No destination was set... I'd merely cycle for an hour and a half in one direction and then turn and come back.

Today was a grey and rainy Sunday, but no problem - I have to prepare for all the elements. Plus I've now discovered a great little benefit of bad weather: when it rains, there are less people about!


The canal route, which heads along towards the River Lea, isn't the most scenic (unless you're into that urban, industrial vibe) but to be by the water and away from the roads is heavenly. If only all London cycling routes could be like this.

Cruising along the canal

Actually, one thing I learned recently is that cyclists don't have any right of way on the canal towpaths. They're owned by British Waterways, and apparently there is a free cycle permit you need to obtain if you want to cycle here without fear of being evicted. Not that I've ever heard of anyone being turned off the towpath, but this sounds like something I should probably apply for. (If anyone knows more about this feel free to comment!) 

Anyway, permit or no permit, countless people cycle the towpath every day and it's widely accepted that they do so. Hence signs like this. (Spoilsports!)


Apart from this one bridge it's mostly clear cycling all the way. I have actually walked this towpath route a couple of years ago. It's a nice path and despite (or perhaps due to) the industrial landscape it can be rather interesting. You pass by locks, green parks, and even the (still unfinished) Olympic site. 
Unfortunately today I didn't get quite that far...

This has to be an even more spoilsport sign than the last one! A large section of the towpath has been closed off while they revamp this part of the river. But I can't really complain, as this will mean better walking AND cycle paths along here, which is no bad thing. In the meantime I was unwilling to start veering away from the canal, so I admitted defeat and went home. I know, I know, think of me what you will! All up it was only little over an hour of cycling. On the bright side, my leg appreciated the early finish.

Also, on the way home I was able to stop and watch some coots - which are a bit like moorhens, but, er... not moorhens. I enjoyed a little glimpse into coot domestic life, and I will even share it with you. Hopefully this will distract everyone from today's pitiful cycling efforts....






No comments:

Post a Comment