19 Jun 2011

CORE STRENGTH AND ARMY TANKS

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." ~ James Joyce

My plan today was to get in some good mileage. Yet on my way to catch a train out west I found something not quite right with my bicycle. I was wobbling to and fro, driving like I'd been on the sauce, and had poor control of my steering. It wasn't until two miles in that I discovered the cause... my front tire was flat! The fact I had a puncture was frustrating enough, but on top of that I'd left my repair kit at home. Disappointment and fury at self make a very good recipe for scowling, which I did, all the way home

In the end I found there wasn't a puncture, which is good news, but means the most likely cause was a loose air valve (perhaps it had come undone after I'd pumped my tires?) At least I could take away a lesson from this - always check the air valves are tight! And don't assume a flat tire means there's a puncture! Ahh you live and learn. Or at least, you live.

By this point the afternoon had got away on me and I was no longer in the mood for restarting the challenge (the scowl in me not yet dissipated). However I was determined to salvage what was left of the day, so having pumped up the tires good and proper, I went out for a ride along the canal towpaths again. It was a sunny Sunday afternoon and I was joined by Ben, who was out running. I raced him on some sections around the basin, and to make it fair I had my bicycle on a heavier gear, so my legs had to work twice as hard - and it felt damned good! I do believe there is no better feeling than being out on two wheels.


We took the towpath to just past Bow locks, and on the way passed an odd young boy who, at the sight of us, pointed across the canal and cried out delightedly, "Look! Army tanks!" It was a strange and random encounter - but he was right. On the opposite bank, amidst a ruinous industrial structure, sat a row of disused army tanks. How had I never seen those before? Another reminder that there is always something new to discover, even on the same old route. Thank you, strange boy.

It was great to get out on the bike, but since I wasn't putting in the miles today I turned my focus to other forms of exercise. Core strength is is an important part of training and something I've not really touched on yet. By the core, I mean "torso strength" - these are the muscles which stabilize the spine, support the upper body and drive the legs. Essentially, the core is the source of physical power - getting your legs and arms into great shape will only go so far if your have weak core strength.

This website from Cycling.com has some excellent core-training exercises which I tackled this afternoon. (And which I will be feeling tomorrow.) Today was a blessing in disguise, because I'm so glad I've brought this into my training now! After all, covering the miles I know I can do - but strength is going to be key to the difficulty of the physical grind.

Whatever your chosen activity - running, cycling, swimming - working on your core is going to matter. Honest. Below are some of the new workouts I'm adding to my training routine, but the website above has a full selection of exercises and also explains things in more detail. Give them a try!


(Images and instructions via cycling.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment