26 Jul 2011

GEAR AND STUFF

In order to cycle 300 miles, you need a lot of stuff. A bicycle, obviously. And a helmet. And a hell of a lot of Haribo. But there are all kinds of other bits and pieces to consider... all of which I hope I've packed!
Below are a few of my most valuable pieces of kit.

Cycling gloves, which will protect my poor palms from a beating, and also ensure that after four days cycling I have the much sought-after fingerless-glove-tan: brown finger tips, brown arm... hand whiter than the driven snow. Just you wait. 

Allen Key & Screwdriver Multi-tool. My friend Ben bought this for me as a gift while I was training, mostly because I thought it was cool and that it would make me look like McGuyver on wheels. Which it totally does.

The all-important (or so I'm told) Chamois - or "Shammy" - cream. The saviour of long distance cyclists (again, so I'm told). Don't ask me where one applies it. You can Google that.

Padded shorts (one of two pairs). Anything that offers cushioning is awesome in my books. To be fair, they're also very flattering, and I actually feel like a graceful, attractive woman when I have them on. I'm lying of course.


My fluoro hi-visibility vest. This is compulsory cycle attire in France, which I have to admit is a sensible idea. Not that I'm going to be wearing it around London all the time. Well, except those odd days when I want to loiter in the street with a packet of sandwiches and leer at women.

Aaaaand there's the bike. I call him Claud. I could say this is because it's a French name, and I'm cycling to Paris. I could claim the name comes from Claud Monet, the painter, whose art is a tribute to beauty in nature. Of course in actual fact, it's because he's got "Claud Butler" written on the frame in big white letters. I tried for a long time to come up with a better name, but nothing else stuck. So, Claud it is. And yes, it is a French name. Which I think is appropriate. J'adore Claud.

As for all the other STUFF, it's more or less packed up... I have my big rucksack which shall go in the van (lucky bastard rucksack) and my meagre daypack, which has to see me through with everything I need until I reach my destination each night. As long as I have my bike, my helmet and my passport, I guess, I'm going to be ok....



No comments:

Post a Comment